Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Resolution: The "Best" YOU ...

Hello from my heart to yours...

‎"When they ask me what I liked best, I'll tell them it was you."  ~ City Of Angels

Isn't that a beautiful sentiment? What a wonderful expression of love... for the one who loves another so deeply as to say it and for the recipient of that statement to know that someone loves them that much.... pretty simple really, and yet, so deep.... wouldn't it be so fabulous to be able to feel that?

With the year ending and with all of us trying to come up with New Year's resolutions, this is a perfect time to reflect on the "YOU" that you have been this past year.. have you been what others like "best" in their lives?  Imagine what a spectacular thing it would be to have someone say that to you... I know it's hard to be at our "best" always.. after all, we are here having a human experience, and therefore, are subject to so many outside factors .. so many challenges and tests and trials... we are always in a hurry and it becomes difficult to stop and reflect on how we are going to handle all that "life" throws at us... we try to be proactive, but most of the time, we are just reacting to someone or something...

Sunday was "The Day of the Holy Family" ... the Homily was absolutely beautiful.. too bad no one in my family was there in mass with me to hear it... yep, I was at mass alone... but anyway, Fr. Phil spoke of the obedience we have to one another.. not "obedience" in "you better do as I say", but rather in the concept of LOVE... because love involves obedience ... and obedience is about loving one another... ...  I do not think I can explain it really and these are the times when I wish I would have brought my phone into church so that I could have recorded it... but none-the-less, it did spark a light in my heart and made me reflect on "me" ... "me" as a daughter, a mother, a sister, a friend... am I, and have I been, obedient in loving God and others? well, as much as I would like to say "YES" ... the answer is "no, not always" .... 

Both Jews and Christians alike, know the "Ten Commandments" and I believe that most of us try to follow them as best we can.. the first and greatest of all, "I am the Lord, your God", invites us to accept and obey the glorious truth that He is OUR God, the One and only... if we do not, we are less likely to obey the rest of the Commandments. Personally, I am able to obey almost all of them except "Honor thy mother" ... not because I do not feel an immense love for her, but I realize that I falter because we simply do not "understand" one another really... her opinion matters to me and I am willing to change behaviors that she finds unpleasing to her, however, the fundamental core of who I am is simply "who I am" and I feel that, although I know she loves me, she does not like "who I am".... during the moments of conflict between us, I am definitely NOT the "best" I can be... I am the "worst" really because I am not obeying, and hence, not loving... and this truly makes me sad... 

Anyway, my resolution this coming year is to step back and ask myself if, in obeying what I am being asked to do, am I being loving?... (especially with my mother) ... I will ask myself if my actions will benefit another person? I will ask myself if it will build up the larger body? and ultimately, will it lead me on the path to be who I was created to be?.. the "best" me... the "me" that someone will say, "YOU" are what I liked best.... 

During this time of miracles and resolutions, I invite you all attempt to be the "best" YOU's that you can be... I humbly ask that YOU help me be the "best" ME.... let us help one another to be obedient to God and one another... let us give of ourselves... YOU are the greatest present you can ever give... let us give the love that is in our heart to those closest to us first.. our family, our friends, our co-workers... and then, let us give love to everyone we see and run into on the street or temple or church... and to everyone we share our thoughts and lives with in cyberspace.... all of the people that we encounter in the world deserve to feel the love that we can give them with just a simple smile or a hug or a handshake... we all deserve to see the "best" in each other... we all deserve to feel that we are the "best" in each other's lives ... stop and reflect... and pray and meditate about this: the LOVE fest begins with YOU.. the "best" YOU that you already are as a blessed child of God... for YOU are loved beyond measure and a cherished blessing to the world... 

I can't wait to be asked what I liked "best" so I can tell them it was YOU!

May 2014 be blessed with all things good... I see you... I carry your heart... I love you... and I salute the Divinity within YOU... from my heart to yours, Happy New Year... 
Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment